Distribution and Logistics
Distribution of Goods
When it comes to location, no one is better positioned than Alabama.
- Alabama is served by six major commercial airlines, and several commuter airlines.
- Alabama waters connect more than 15,000 miles (over 24,000 km) of inland waterways, in 23 different states.
- Alabama has more than 2,000 miles (over 3,200 km) of railroad tracks served by five Class I railroad lines.
- Alabama presently has five interstate highways converge in it; by the end of 2014, the number should rise to six with the opening on Interstate 22 in Birmingham.
Within a 13-hour drive (850 mile) radius from points across the Coastal Gateway region, you can reach more than 160 metropolitan areas, including:
- Chicago, IL
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Miami, FL
- Cleveland, OH
- Richmond, VA
- Charleston, SC
For more information on transportation options in the CGEDA area, click here.
Ports & Intermodal
Alabama was ranked 22nd in the country in 2012 for exports, with companies throughout the state shipping products to 197 different countries worldwide. This is in great part due to the ports and intermodal facilities, including the Port of Mobile.
The Port of Mobile is the country’s 13th largest, based on tonnage, and ranks ahead of Baltimore, Md.; Savannah, Ga.; and Tampa, Fla. The facility features:
- 41 berths
- 5 miles (8 km) of waterfront
- Main channel depth of 45 ft (13.7 m)
- Cargo holding area of 4 million square ft (1.2 million mP2P)
- The CGEDA area provides direct access to the Port, including the Tennessee-Tombigbee River.
The area is home to several nationally-recognized companies with major distribution operations, including Home Depot, Wal-Mart, the McLane Company, ACE Hardware, Target, Fruit of the Loom, C&S Wholesale Grocers, and SYSCO. This is in-large part due to the low employment costs for these operations in the state. The chart below shows the average hourly salary of certain positions in Alabama and in the United States. On average, Alabama wages are $2.00 less per hour than the national average.
|Sales Rep (general)||$21.76||$23.60|
|Truck Driver Heavy||$17.67||$19.62|
|Shipping & Receiving Clerk||$14.08||$15.68|
*Source: 2012 ERI Economic Research Institute, Inc. Salary Assessor Series. EDPA, www.advantagealabama.com.